THE STORY: In 1916, construction began to replace the old wooden wagon bridge that crossed the Tuolumne
River. The Seventh Street Bridge would be the only bridge built entirely of concrete. The new bridge was dedicated on March 17, 1917, by breaking
a bottle of milk on the lion at the south end of the bridge. The reason behind using a bottle of milk was that Stanislaus County had voted to go dry. There had been a discussion of tearing down the Seventh Street Bridge, but historians rose to its defense
and in 1963 it was retrofitted and strengthened. The lions on both ends of the bridge, used from medieval times to guard public
buildings, were restored by volunteers.