THE STORY: This
medal commemorates the 150th anniversary of John Fremont's first California expedition. In 1844, Fremont came upon
the Rio de Estanislao and renamed it the Stanislaus River. This was a significant event in the history of Stanislaus County, not only did the river name get changed, but later the name for the county itself was derived
from his action. The medal depicts a bust of John Charles Fremont and a small caricature of him on horseback approaching
the Stanislaus River.